Wonder what really makes people cringe when they look at your LinkedIn Profile?
Me either. 😀 It’s quite on the ranch tonight so I did a little catch up reading. Even though I’m no longer LinkedIn, this article caught my eye. I figure people are probably cringing over these words whether they’re linked or unlinked.
It’s those clichéd words and phrases. You know what they are — those ambiguous ones that really don’t tell you anything.
As we head into 2011 our Analytics Team decided to take a crack at finding the most clichéd and overused phrases for the past year using over 85 million LinkedIn profiles. Here are our 2010 top 10 buzzwords used in the USA.
I immediately reread all 204 Fork blog posts to see if I’d become clichéd. OK, I didn’t actually reread all 204 posts. I didn’t read any of them, but I remember quite a few and I’m pretty sure not one of these words has ever appeared. Now I feel like a massive underachiever.
Then I took a second look and decided I could have used these over used buzzwords:
1. Extensive experience – It’s on Like Donkey Kong I could have referenced my now vast up close Extensive experience with cattle. Anyone who has been a salt like for 4 young calves has Extensive experience that’s almost unparalleled in my current profession.
2. Innovative – Leaning Left was an example of being Innovative, a little ugly, but innovative.
3. Motivated – Spinning a Yarn. I was Motivated to learn to knit. I just wasn’t Motivated to learn to knit anything in particular.
4. Results Oriented – Mighty Mouse and Me I was very Results Oriented in my attempt(s) to persuade the shark to stay off the beach, at least until the tourist were gone
5. Dynamic – Planting Myself in a WalMart Flower Pot It was just about too Dynamic
6. Proven Track Record – Why Do I Open My Mouth I demonstrated a Proven Track Record of repeatedly doing something completely superfluous – for years
7. Team Player – You Don’t Argue with Henry VIII I certainly have learned a lot about being a Team Player from Henry.
8. Fast Paced – Happy as a Dead Pig in Sunshine Really, does it get any more Fast Paced than a gate guard chasing wild pigs for a photo opp, and getting chased by wild pigs for revenge?
9. Problem Solver – Half In/Half Out When it comes to being a Problem Solver, it is always Heidi This was apparent from the very first week of gate guarding when she had to crawl in and out of the window for 6 hours
10. Entrepreneurial – A Night With Darth Vader Between Mariah and Darth, it may not have been very Entrepreneurial but it certainly was commercial
So there you have it. I’ve linked in, sort of, with the 10 most over used buzzwords of 2010 and I’ve linked you in with 10 posts that recap 10 months of gate guarding!